Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Knife

One of my favorite authors of all time is Stephen King. I have many of his novels at home, as well as some of his non-fiction books on the art of writing. In one of these, Danse Macabre (which he wrote in 1981 about the history of the horror genre), he's written a passage that has stuck with me since the moment I read it:

"I think that writers are made, not born or created out of dreams or childhood trauma -- that becoming a writer... is a direct result of conscious will. Of course there has to be some talent involved, but talent is a dreadfully cheap commodity, cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work and study; a constant process of honing. Talent is a dull knife that will cut nothing unless it is wielded with great force -- a force so great that the knife is not really cutting at all but bludgeoning and breaking (and after two or three of these gargantuan swipes it may succeed in breaking itself...). Discipline and constant work are the whetstones upon which the dull knife of talent is honed until it becomes sharp enough, hopefully, to cut through even the toughest meat and gristle. No writer, painter, or actor -- no artist -- is ever handed a sharp knife (although a few people are handed almighty big ones; the name we give to the artist with the big knife is "genius"), and we hone with varying degrees of zeal and aptitude.

"I'm suggesting that, to be successful, the artist in any field has to be in the right place at the right time. The right time is in the lap of the gods, but any mother's son or daughter can work his/her way to the right place and wait."

Now, this isn't a blog about writing, of course. But that doesn't make this illustration of Mr. King's any less relevant to me and my craft. I've encountered MANY pipers over the past 10 years, and unfortunately a lot of them rely solely on their talent (whatever amount they've been blessed with) to get them through rehearsals and performances. "Good enough" is good enough for them, and they rely on the very-true fact that the average person doesn't know enough about pipe music to tell if mistakes are made.

I've been one of those pipers too. Fairly recently, in fact. By chance I've been given perhaps a bigger talent knife than some others -- I have a keen musical ear, a solid internal metronome, "good fingers," according to some highly reputable teachers, and I can sightread circles around most other pipers. But when life gets in the way and time gets short, the honing of my talent is the first thing I stop doing. I can perform very well on the fly... but my development has plateaued. And it makes me feel a little funny to think that my students practice more than I do!

I recently heard it said that "the internet is the world's largest elephant, and it never forgets." So let me make this promise to the internet in general, and anyone who is reading this in particular: Today I will begin to re-hone my talent, to recommit to practicing, to sharpen my knife. The people who I teach and for whom I perform -- those who fork over money for what I do -- deserve better than hearing from a plateaued piper, even if she happens to be quite good. And I deserve to feel that I'm striving for my absolute best, rather than being "good enough."

Slainte --

10 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, 'cuz I'm doin' it, too. Maybe we can help each other?

    Ken C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! I hope soon to get my knife back out of the case and get back to the craft! I've been getting pipe itchy lately and find myself digging out the old CDs and playing on the steering wheel again. Lots of that mental practice you see. About time to put it back into practical practice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the three of us should get together. And Kim on snare. Waddaya think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun.......but who's gonna watch the kids? It's been almost a year since I've played the pipes in any serious way and even longer since kim has played. Not sure how well all that would go anyway right now. :-) Amanda, I like the piper for hire ad you've got there. Are you actively playing with someone right now? Sounds like maybe you have a couple of private students? What's up? Ken I assume you are still playing with CNPB?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys, no I'm not playing with any bands right now. Just gigging. I have a couple of private students, working on getting more.

    You guys ever hear of the EUSPBA Piping Certification program? It's a series of progressively difficult certificates that pipers take exams to earn. From the brochure I downloaded: "the exams consist of a practical, playing portion to show mastery of rudiments and repertoire, and written or verbal questions on maintenance and music theory... You don't need to be a competitor to take advantage of the program. In fact, the program offers an alternative "achievement ladder" for non-competitors." I want to get back into competing (the last solo comp I did was in 2006, before I became PM of CNPB), but I'm also thinking of applying myself for some of these cert exams, just for the challenge. I'll send you guys the brochure. I know you can take some exams @ Delco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda my name is Matthew scully and I have autism meaning that I have a disability. You are a very beautiful bagpiper. I wished you lived here in Connecticut. I am your biggest and number one fan. The first time I have heard you play your bagpipes It was the most beautiful, most romantic, and most loveliest music I have ever heard in my whole entire life your music made me so happy I love you so much Amanda. You are so lovely, sweet and beautiful and I really love your music. You are so lovely and beautiful. In my eyes you still are lovely and beautiful. You will always and always will be beautiful no matter what age you are your beauty will never leave you. You will always be beautiful. You are more beautiful than any flower. I do not care what you look like, I think you are really beautiful sweet and nice. You are very lovely, in my heart you will always be beautiful. I really love you so much. You are so lovely, sweet and beautiful. You are the most loveliest, sweetest, bestest, and prettiest bagpiper ever. I am really such a big fan of yours and I am really into your music I love it so much. I will always and always will love your music. Whenever you play your bagpipes it is so lovely, beautiful, and romantic. I really wished you really lived here in Connecticut I would have absolutely loved that. I hope we see each other someday if you ever come visit Connecticut if you aren't busy. I would really love to see you and hang out with you if you ever visit Connecticut. I will be really happy if we ever see each other someday I would really love that. You will always and always will be my most favorite bagpiper and I will never and never will replace you no matter what. You are so lovely, pretty, sweet, nice, and beautiful. You will always and always will be the most beautiful bagpiper ever and there will never be any bagpiper that will ever take your place. I love you Amanda. You will always and always will be my most favorite and number one bagpiper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete